Post by Wayne Richards on Dec 31, 2018 3:53:03 GMT -5
I'd like to start off and say that I am extremely proud of how this show turned out. Even though we had some no shows, those that brought it deserve all the praise! It was so much fun bringing this one together with the added help this season, and the segments you guys delivered were fantastic. I hope this is just scratching the surface of what's to come.
So with that, I want to know what you guys thought of the show. I'd really like to try to build the feedback section up this season, not just for the shows, but for role plays as well. I know the competitive side of this game can get grueling sometimes, but at the end of the day, this is a hobby and a game, and I'd like to see us all help each other out with some pointers and help us all grow. So...
Post by Alex Kincaid on Dec 31, 2018 9:50:14 GMT -5
Best Match: The main event, and not just by virtue of the main event. A thing that I really dug about the entire show tonight was how unique and CINEMATIC it felt. Moments like the rope snapping when on fire, or the crying kids in the front row selling the horror of it all, that’s stuff that could feel over the top in another fed. But here, we sort of embrace the grindhouse and the over the top madness. I loved her mouthing “something” to Riddle at the very end that we didn’t pick up. Something small, intimate and private before absolute horror is inflicted on him. The perfect ending for them.
Best Segment: I really liked the opening video, the montage of all the madness from last season. What I liked most was how – despite the craziest events of last year involving literal shootings, and brutal bloody fights, it ended on a shot of Alyssa Daniels with her belt. One thing I’ve always loved about UB is its Lucha Underground like madness (which is why a character like Inaros excites me so much) but in the end this game is about the handlers, the wrestlers, and their success and this thing rode the balance perfectly.
Best Spot: Lisa goddamn Seldon setting her own fucking nose back in place to the absolute horror of James Edwards. Metal as hell. I like this because it plays into James Edwards weird detachment thing he has going on, his weird aloofness, because once he collects himself he immediately rolls her up for the near fall. Of course he would.
Best Moment: This isn’t a moment but more of a thing I noticed I really like. There’s a ton of worldbuilding in this show not just for our fed, but for the fedding universe as a whole. Stuff like the OR mentioning other companies in their promo, or the deathmatch Laughlin had playing into her being beat up, or Union GP being promoted on commentary remind me of one of the best parts of the game: We’re all creating a universe together. This is one giant story we’re all building at once, and that’s really something.
Biggest Surprise: Nothing in particular surprised me, really. I guess I could say I was a bit surprised by the show quality overall. No mistake, I like UB but this show was a fucking BANGER to kick off the new season. Given that we’re working with a lot of new faces, we started out super hot. Show was good, stories progressed, it felt unique to us and it was up on time. What more can you complain about? This fucking ruled.
Biggest Upset: Unfortunately, I don’t know enough about the current state of things to offer an opinion on this.
MVP: Elena DeDraca. Admittedly, I haven’t been around in a bit but this show seemed like HERS. The build around it is about her, the main event is about her, and the segment immediately before it is crazy strong. This is a character that will do its best here, with the over the top melodrama that is very much the Union Battleground tone to me. An absolute banger of a night for this character, and I’m super excited to promo against her on the upcoming show even though I’m definitely gonna get eaten alive.
Constructive Criticism: Psychology seemed a bit strange in the Colt/Svarro match with Mikey being such a shitbag, and immediately nailing Colt with a high flying move off the jump before Danny locks in a chinlock. Seemed a big backward. Was this a no show? Because Danny got killed, but hey, if you no show that’s what you get I think.
Other Notes: Just some other things I liked.
- Saul going ‘Oh!’ with the crowd in Kelly vs Izumi, nice attention to detail there.
- Saul in general as a commentator, dude has a clear persona that – no offense to our old commentators – they lacked a bit. Maybe we just weren’t writing them right.
- The totally realistic twitter plug.
- Finn Whelan being the coolest in totally breaking Svarro down verbally while not seeming to try doing it. Suave.
- The Osaka Rebel’s being hilarious. “Fuck Lisa Seldon!” and the small discussion afterward got a chuckle out of me. For the record, I want to see these guys verses Liverpool.
- “That clot of blood just flew three or four rows deep!” ew.
- Yo Umi, what up girl? How you doing tho? That picbase. Whew.
- Umi has that scary like….Predator/Apocalypse rational going. Showing up where the strongest, most dangerous thing is so you can hunt it down and destroy it is a great comic book villain rational. I am SO into seeing how Inaros ends up being. Again, I love Lucha Underground madness and this is right up my alley. He could be our Mil Muertos.
- Biopsy joke fell a little flat for me.
- Some great commentary work from Saul getting over how scary it is being ringside for the inferno match, yelling for people to get down and the like. Very cool.
- As I praise that commentary though, I thought his commentary on Riddle spitting fire was a little flat. That’s a big moment! He should have been spazzing at least a little I think.